Throughout the semester I have done many assignments for History 1120. In this part of the eportfolio I will be discussing what I have learned, my assignments, and how I felt about Canadian history before and after this course.

History has always been a fun course to take for me. I love learning about where we started from and how it has shaped the world. Before this course, I thought I knew lots about Canadian history, but really I only knew tidbits. Canadian History is so much more than just Indigenous people and British settlers, which is mostly what I learned in high school history studies.

After this course, I learned about charivari’s and the role they played in the pre-confederate era, people were humiliated for marrying a person of different race or having a large age difference between the couple. I learned of the les filles du roi and how they populated New France and built up the colonies with the population growth. I learned that there was slavery in Canada, and when it brought up it is linked only with the United States and disregarded that Canada was involved in the slave trade. I learned the gold rush was more dangerous than plentiful, and the fact that barely anyone found gold but it was seen as such a good thing.

This course opened my eyes to what Canada truly has in it’s past, good or bad. Canada now a days is seen as a perfect country with no real problems of the past, but Canada has a more dark past then it seems, Canada is just better at hiding it.